Chef Dina

Now available for Bay Area full service catering in conjunction with "A Fork Full of Earth" organic catering, intimate dinner parties and weekly meal preparation.



Monday, May 6, 2013

Peanut butter and chocolate puffed quinoa bars

Hello! It's been a while, I know...
I seem to go in spurts here, but stay with me (and my consistently inconsistent nature). I've got a quick and easy sweet treat for you tonight.  This recipe may not be ideal for everyone seeing as how we here in the Bay Area seem to be quite spoiled with the wide array of offerings at the grocery store.
However, I hope it will introduce you to a new ingredient if you haven't already seen it- puffed quinoa.  You can always order it on line, and I think that may actually be worth doing.  This stuff is great to have around to throw in yogurt or cereal, cookies, etc... You cannot make puffed quinoa at home, to my knowledge.  I get it at Berkeley Bowl, pre packed in the bulk section. I have had it stored for almost a year now in an airtight jar- so I don't think it'll go stale on you too soon either, if you do decide to go through the trouble of ordering it.



I wanted a sweet fix the other night, but I wanted a healthy twist on it (considering I had already polished off an ice cream cone, and numerous other sugary confections that will remain anoynomous earlier that day).  I was searching the Internet for quinoa cookies and stumbled upon this quick and easy "protein packed" recipe (sounds healthy already, doesn't it? Nevermind the sugar and fat...it's healthy fat, right?):

2 1/2 cups puffed quinoa (protein super food)
1/2 cup natural peanut butter (more protein and good fat)
1/2 cup raw honey (immunity builder)
4 oz dark chocolate (antioxidant)

Line a square 8" pan with wax paper
Combine honey and peanut butter in a sauce pan and heat over low until warm and gooey and stir into puffed quinoa. Spread mixture into prepared pan and put in the fridge while melting the chocolate.
Melt the chocolate in a double boiler (or put a bowl over a pot with simmering water) to melt then pour over the top, spreading evenly.
Chill for a few hours and cut into squares.
Enjoy your guilt free dessert!

No comments:

Post a Comment